- This event has passed.
Introduction to Woodturning
November 30, 2019 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm ESTFree
MakerFX’s introduction to Woodturning, a beginners guide to getting past the initial anxiety of approaching a rapidly spinning chunk of wood with a pointy metal stick.In this class you will learn about
* The differnt parts of a lathe: headstock, tailstock, tool holder and spindle.
* Tools, such as: roughing gouge, spindle gouge, skew chisel, parting tools, bowl gouge and carbides.
* Sharpening your tools, the sharper your tool, the easier it will be to turn, so you’ll want to be comfortable in sharpening often and correctly.
* Mounting the workpiece, scroll chucks, and proper RPM’s for different size workpieces.
* Different types of wood, with over 300 types of wood most commonly used for turning, its important to know the basics on what works and what doesnt work for different types of projects. I will discuss the most common wood allergies and some species that can be toxic if precautions are not taken.
* Lathe accesories such as bowl tool rests, drive centers, specialty chucks, pen kits, bushings, face plates, spindle steadiers, hole boring, collets, ring turning, burr tools, pyrography, texturing and inlays.
* Sanding, types of sandpaper or sanding accesories, as well as finishes, coatings and dyes.
Please bring any safety equipment you may own (gloves, masks, face shields, smocks, etc). We will have basic eye and noise protection available.